Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Amelia, Inspired by Walt Whitman



When I Heard the Learn'd English Teachers


When I learnt grammar, reading, writing, and speaking;
When the rules, the verbs, were taught by the teachers;
When I saw the vocabulary and the structure, to remember, read and love them;
When I, my brows wrinkling, looked at my teachers, who were always happy to give tests and quizzes,
Afterwards, I was confused and crazy;
Still dreaming and hoping they would be nice,
In the noisy class, and day by day,
I wanted to run and fly, disappear from this earth.



When I Saw Him Walking Away

When I saw him walking away;
When his breath, his voice, were flying on the sky;
When I learnt from the birds and spirits, to see, hear, and touch them;
When I, dreaming, saw him, who filled my empty face;
Then, I knew he was a fake;
Still dreaming and laughing, I hoped by myself,
In the freezing night, and full of snow,
Waiting for his smile in the dark sky.


AMELIA AGUSTINUS 600B